Sunday, January 24, 2010

The next case, if correctly reported, is of a transitional sort; for though it was a


From Phantasms of the Living by Edmund Gurney, Frederic Myers, and Frank Podmore, Chapter VI "Transference of Ideas and Mental Pictures."

The next case, if correctly reported, is of a transitional sort; for though it was a distinct idea, and not a mere sound-image, that seems to have been transferred, the transference was probably connected with the fact that the words were actually on the tip of the agent's tongue. This fact, of course, suggests again the chance of unconscious suggestion by actual sound or movement of the lips;

"November 19th, 1884.

"A somewhat curious little incident occurred this morning, which, though not of any value, might be of interest to you.

"Last evening a friend of mine, Mr. F. P., and I, unable to fix upon a suitable name for a new invention of ours, agreed to think it over and communicate the names selected this morning. The only names I could think of at all suitable were three, 'Matchless,' 'Marvel,' and 'Express.'

"We met in the train, and I said to P., 'Have you thought of any name?' he replied ' Yes,' and leant across to mention it, but suddenly stopped short, and said, 'Tell me yours.' I at once commenced, as I thought, to give the three I had selected in the order named; but quite as much to my surprise as that of Mr. P., the first name I mentioned was the word 'Superb, 'a name that had never entered my mind, but strangely enough the actual name that P. had settled on and was about to mention.

"As there was not any reflection whatever, nor time for it, between P.'s question and my rejoinder, it struck me as rather curious. "J. S. Dismork."