Saturday, January 9, 2010

Our friend Mrs. Bidder, the wife of Mr. G. Bidder, Q.C., sends us the following


From Phantasms of the Living by Edmund Gurney, Frederic Myers, and Frank Podmore, Chapter V "Specimens of the Various Types of Spontaneous Telepathy."



Our friend Mrs. Bidder, the wife of Mr. G. Bidder, Q.C., sends us the following recollection of the narrative as told at her table by Mr. S. Crowe, who is her husband's brother-in-law.

"Ravensbury Park, Surrey.

"10th January, 1883.

"The following was related at our table by my husband's brother-in-law, Mr.Septimus Crowe. His father, since dead, was Sir John Crowe, Consul-General for Norway.

"'My father and I were travelling one winter in Norway. We had our carrioles as sledges, and my father drove first, I following. One day we were driving very quickly down a steep hill, at the bottom of which ran a road, at right angles with the one we were on. As we neared the bottom of the hill we saw a carriole, going as quickly as ourselves, just ready to cross our path. My father reined in suddenly, his horse reared and fell over, and I could not, at first, see whether he was hurt or not. He, luckily, had sustained no injury, and in due time we reached home. My sister, on our approach, rushed out, exclaiming: 'Then you are not hurt? I saw the horse rear, but I could not see whether you were hurt or not."'"